Course Documents & Assignments
Instructions: Click below on the title to view the document.
At the conclusion of the rotation you should return the following documents:
- Preceptor Evaluation (Ask your preceptor to complete the evaluation and return via fax to 615-327-6131.)
- Patient Log Book (Submit the electronic log book via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Student Course Evaluation, (Complete the electronic evaluation using the link provided above.)
- Reflection Paper (Submit the reflection paper as an attachment via email to email@example.com.)
Community Service Project Selection
Purpose: The purpose of the Community Service Project is to provide students an opportunity to enhance their knowledge of community identified needs and concerns and gain an understanding of the context in which those needs and concerns exist.
Instructions: Identify a project in consultation with your preceptor. The project should be beneficial to your target audience and identified as a need. Complete the Community Service Selection form and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Service Project Guidelines
Community Service Project Selection Form
National Health Observance Calendar (National Health Information Center)
Patient Education Information (American Academy of Family Physicians)
Tar Wars, A Tobacco-free Education Program (American Academy of Family Physicians)
Healthy People 2020
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles (American Medical Association)
Cultural Competence & Personal Bias
Purpose: Cultural and linguistic competence is a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that come together in a system, agency, or among professionals that enables effective work in cross-cultural situations. 'Culture' refers to integrated patterns of human behavior that include the language, thoughts, communications, actions, customs, beliefs, values, and institutions of racial, ethnic, religious, or social groups. 'Competence' implies having the capacity to function effectively as an individual and an organization within the context of the cultural beliefs, behaviors, and needs presented by consumers and their communities. (Adapted from Cross, 1989).
Instructions: Complete the cultural competency assessments and review the answers/feedback provided. Please be sure to keep a copy of your responses as you will address the results in your reflection paper.
Quality & Culture Quiz
Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health Care (CLAS Standards)
Promoting Cultural and Linguistic Competency: A Self-assessment Checklist
Understanding the Determinants of Health
Purpose: The determinants of health as defined by the Department of Health and Human Services are factors that contribute to a person's current state of health. These factors may be biological, socioeconomic, psychosocial, behavioral, or social in nature. Scientists generally recognize five determinants of health of a population:
- Biology and genetics. Examples: sex and age
- Individual behavior. Examples: alcohol use, injection drug use (needles), unprotected sex, and smoking
- Social environment. Examples: discrimination, income, and gender
- Physical environment. Examples: where a person lives and crowding conditions
- Health services. Examples: Access to quality health care and having or not having health insurance
Instructions: Review the links under resources/tools below regarding the determinants of health. Consider how the determinants of health have an effect on the patient population at your clinic site and with the audience of your community service project.
Reflection Paper Guidelines
Healthy People 2020
Health Disparities/Inequities Report (Center for Disease Control & Prevention)
Health Disparities Income & Education Fact Sheet (Center for Disease Control & Prevention)